Research - A Gentle Introduction to Decision Trees and Random Forests with Python and R
Machine learning methods are nowadays used in a wide variety of applications. In this course, you will learn how the decision tree and random forest methods work and may be applied in practice by using either Python or R programming.
Acquire the key competencies that are needed to apply decision tree and random forest methods to simple datasets
Any PhD students, post-docs, researchers of UNIL who would like to use decision tree and random forest methods in their research
At the end of the course, the participants are expected to:
- Understand how the decision tree and random forest algorithms work
- Run simple machine learning codes in Python or R
- Be able to choose properly the hyper-parameters of the models
Twice a year
Remotely on Zoom
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Be confortable with either Python or R programming
- Have an account on the UNIL cluster Curnagl. You may try to work on your laptop, but we may not be able to help you with the installation
IMPORTANT: Please register using your UNIL email address!