Research - A Gentle Introduction to Decision Trees and Random Forests with Python and R
Machine learning methods are nowadays used in a wide variety of applications. In this course, you will learn how the decision tree and random forest methods work and may be applied in practice by using either Python or R programming.
Acquire the key competencies that are needed to apply decision tree and random forest methods to simple datasets
Any PhD students, post-docs, researchers of UNIL who would like to use decision tree and random forest methods in their research
At the end of the course, the participants are expected to:
- Understand how the decision tree and random forest algorithms work
- Run simple machine learning codes in Python or R
- Be able to choose properly the hyper-parameters of the models
Twice a year
To be defined or remotely
The practicals can be done on your laptop (but you will need to install the required libraries), on the EPFL JupyterLab, or on the UNIL cluster called Curnagl. See the installation page for more information.
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Be confortable with either Python or R programming
IMPORTANT: Please register using your UNIL email address!